Domestic Violencebadge

Warning signs of an abusive relationship
Tips you can do to help protect yourself
Resource Agencies

Domestic Violence is when someone you date; a current or past spouse; a family member; an acquaintance or a sexual partner causes physical or psychological harm to you. Unfortunately most cases of domestic violence are not reported to the police.

Violence against anyone is always wrong. You are not at fault. You did not cause the abuse to occur and you are not responsible for the violent behavior of someone else.

If you or someone you know has been the victim of domestic violence, seek help from other family members, friends or a resident advisor. Reach out for support or counseling. Talk with a healthcare provider, especially if you have been physically hurt. Learn how to minimize your risk of becoming a victim before you find yourself in an uncomfortable or threatening situation. Another important part of getting help is knowing you are in an abusive relationship. There are clear signs to help you know if you are being abused.

Do you feel nervous around him/her?
Do you have to be careful to control your behavior to avoid his/her anger?
Do you feel pressured into sex?
Are you afraid to disagree with him/her?
Does he/she criticize you in front of classmates?
Does he/she always check up or question you about what you have been doing?
Does he/she accuse you of seeing other people?
Does his/her jealousy stop you from seeing friends or going home to see family?
Has he/she ever scared you with violence or threatening behavior?
Does he/she prevent you from going out with friends?
Makes excuses that alcohol caused his/her behavior toward you?

Talk to your RA or someone you trust. The more people who know the more people that can watch out for your safety.
File a report with Campus Safety
Call your local police department and file a report
File a Protection from Abuse Order commonly know as a “PFA”.

If you are the victim of domestic violence, you have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting an order for protection from domestic abuse pursuant to the Protection From Abuse Act (23 Pa.C.S. Ch. 61), which could include the following:

(1) An order restraining the abuser from further acts of abuse.
(2) An order directing the abuser to leave your household.
(3) An order preventing the abuser from entering your residence,
school, business or place of employment.
(4) An order awarding you or the other parent temporary custody of or
temporary visitation with your child or children.
(5) An order directing the abuser to pay support to you and the minor
children if the abuser has a legal obligation to do so.
A PFA can be obtained through the Protection from Abuse Office of Lehigh County which is located in the Lehigh County Courthouse (455 Hamilton Street, Room 100 Allentown, PA 18101)

A lawyer is not needed to file a PFA. Legal papers can be filed at the Lehigh County Courthouse. After filing a PFA you will go in front of a judge and ask the court for a temporary protection order. If the judge agrees that you are a the victim of abuse he/she may give you a court order, which may state that the abuser must not hurt you again and that the abuser is to stay away from you and where you live. If there is a violation of the order the abuser may be sent to jail and/or fined. Once you have obtained a temporary protection order and the abuser was served a copy of it, the police can arrest the abuser if the terms of the court order are broken. Once you have received a copy of the order you should place a copy on file with the local police where you live, work, and/or go to school. If a temporary order is issued you will be scheduled for a hearing within 10 days for a final order.

In case of an emergency or if you’ve been assaulted after the courthouse has been closed, contact your local police department. A temporary order can be issued before a District Justice. The District Justice will then tell you how to get a final order.


Resource Agencies

On- Campus Resources

Department of Campus Safety
Prosser Hall – Lower Level
484-664-3110 (non-campus phone)
3110 (from any phone on campus)
8-911 emergencies on campus

Investigates all crimes including reported sexual assaults which occur on or around College property (including residence halls). Will accept official & “Jane/John Doe” reports of sexual assault/abuse.

Dean Of Students Office
Hass College Center – 3rd floor
484-664-3182 (non-campus phone)
3182 (from a campus phone)

Assists students with a complaint of sexual harassment. Will accept official as well as informal reports. Offers supportive intervention & referrals for other needed services. (Contact: Karen Green)

Counseling Center 
Life Sports Center – 2nd floor
484-664-3178 (non-campus phone)
3178 (from a Campus Phone)
484-664-3110 (after hour emergency contact through Campus Safety)

Offers trained counselors to assist students including those who have been sexually assaulted. Services are available through individual, couple or group counseling with both male & female students. Will take informal confidential reports of incident

Office of Equity and Title IX

The Office of Equity and Title IX receives complaints and oversees response and investigation of all reports of identity-based discrimination and harassment, sexual misconduct, relationship violence, stalking, and retaliatory harassment as prohibited by College policies addressing these topics.

Life Sports Center – 1st floor
484-664-3199 (non-campus phone)
3199 (from a campus phone)
484-663-3110 (after hour emergency contact through Campus Safety)

Health Care Professions, administrators, and support staff collaboratively work in concert to provide a wide array of health services for students in meeting and individual's primary health care needs. Selected services are available to employees.

– Prosser Hall - Lower Level
484-664-3180 (non-campus phone)
3180 (from a campus phone)
484-663-3110 (after hour emergency contact through Campus Safety)

The Office of Residential Services at Muhlenberg College provides a variety of safe, healthy, comfortable, well maintained living learning environments. We work with students to promote communities that are civil, appreciative of differences, and conducive to academic success and personal growth

Muhlenberg College Employee Assistance Program
Life Sports Center – 2nd floor Counseling Services
484-664-3178 (non-campus phone)
3178 (from a Campus Phone)
484-664-3110 (after hour contact)

Offers assessment, referral, and/or short-term counseling for problems. All faculty & staff are eligible for services. (Contact: Anita Kelly)

Sexual Assault Resource Team (SART)

Survivors of a sexual assault need support and information about their alternatives for addressing the assault, whether the incident happened recently or many years ago. Friends of survivors may also have questions or concerns about the ways in which they can support the survivor, or they may need to deal with their own issues related to assault.

Any member of the Survivor Support System can speak with you by phone or can arrange to meet with you at a mutually convenient time and location. The support member will provide you with information about the alternatives available to you to address health, legal, counseling, and other concerns which you may have and can refer you to additional resources if you need further assistance. 

Off-Campus Resources

Allentown City Police
435 Hamilton St, Allentown, PA 18101
9ll emergency
610-437-7751 (non-emergency)
610-437-7753 (police desk)

455 Hamilton St, 1st floor, Rm. 101 Allentown, PA 18101
610-820-2005 or

If you are the victim of domestic violence, you have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting an order for protection from domestic violence.

Crime Victims Council
- 801 Hamilton Mall, Allentown, PA 18101

610-437-6611 (24 HR. HOTLINE)
610-437-6610 (Lehigh County Office)

For emotional support, help in making decisions, financial issues, support groups, individual counseling and escort to hospital, police, and court.

Turning Point of the Lehigh Valley
- 444 E. Susquehanna St. Allentown, PA 18103

610-437-3369 (24 HR HOTLINE)
610-868-5454 (Lehigh County Office)

For support or shelter if the assault involves an intimate partner or family member.

Victim Witness Program (Violent Crime) -
- 509 N. 7th Street, Allentown, PA 18101

The Victim/Witness Unit in the Lehigh County District Attorney's Office provides information to victims and witnesses concerning the Lehigh County court system and the progress of their case through the court system. Some of the services provided are:
1. Court Accompaniment
2. Case Studies
3. Sentencing Notification
4. Assistance with restitution and property return
5. Employer/School/Creditor Intervention

LEHIGH COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY - 455 W. Hamilton St., Allentown, PA 18101



District 31-1-03

Magistrate: Ronald S. Manescu
930 Hamilton St. Allentown

Alt Phone: 610-434-7910

FAX: 610-434-0213

District 31-1-02

Magistrate: Maryesther Merlo
1224 W. Liberty St, Allentown

Alt Phone: 610-433-1772

FAX: 610-432-0140

17TH & Chew Street Allentown
Cedar Crest Boulevard & I-78, Allentown


Provide Sexual Assault Forensic Examiners (S.A.F.E). Specially trained nurses providing compassionate care to sexual assault victims 12 years old and up in a safe and comfortable environment 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

610-782-3127 (24 HR HOTLINE)

LEHIGH VALLEY LEGAL SERVICES - 801 Hamilton St., Allentown, PA 18101